Socialist Voice – August 2012 August 9, 2012Posted by WorldbyStorm in Uncategorized.
Interesting front page article in view of some of what was posted here yesterday.
The European Council had agreed in March 2011 to make a hugely important change to the EU treaties by using the so-called simplified revision procedure introduced by the Lisbon Treaty.
This procedure bypasses democratic checks and balances that apply to the ordinary treaty revision process and allows heads of government to make far-reaching changes that have profound and fundamental constitutional
implications, both at the national constitutional level and the EU level.
Judge Hogan summed up the Government’s argument as “the Government could agree to a Treaty amendment using the simplified revision procedure, leaving no role at all for even parliamentary ratification.”
The contents is as follows:
1. EU integration—a creeping coup [COM]
2. It’s not the economy, stupid: it’s politicians [NL]
3. A tale of three reports [NL]
4. Time to end the tax haven scam! [TMS]
5. It’s the people’s oil, not the corporations’
6. Attacking the sick and the elderly [MA]
7. Public-private partnerships [KC]
8. Ryanair continues to ride roughshod [AF]
9. Attempting to return to employment [NB]
10. Job Bridge again
11. Turfcutters fight for a way of life [MH]
13. Organising a Liam O’Flaherty revival [JF]
14. Corruption in Irish politics: nothing changes [PD]
15. Review: What if Ireland defaults? [Conor McCabe]
16. Opinion: The difference between socialism and liberalism [BG]
And here is the downloadable file: