The CLR Political Quiz …… Number 3 – The Answers September 28, 2012Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. How many candidates did the Irish Housewives Association field in the 1957 General Election?
Three – Mairead McGuinness in Dublin North East, Beatrice Dixon in Dublin South West and Kathleen Swanton in Dublin North Central.
2. Patrick Kavanagh’s poem “On Raglan Road”, was written about his unrequited love for which 1969 General Election candidate?
Hilda O’Malley, widow of Donogh O’Malley, who stood as an Independent in Limerick East.
3. How Many Labour TDs elected in 2011 were elected for Labour in 1997?
Seven – Brendan Howlin, Willie Penrose, Ruairi Quinn, Roisin Shorthall, Tommy Broughan, Emmett Stagg and Jack Wall
4. Who were the last two Democratic Left candidates to stand for election?
Joe Holohan and John Ryan stood in by elections in Dublin North and Limerick East on the 11th March 1998.
5. In 1987 Barbara Hyland stood in 13 constituencies for the ‘National Legal Justice Action Group’, what party had she stood for previously?
She had stood for Labour in the 1985 Local Elections in Bray
6. Which Party had an Address at 10 Lower Abbey Street, Dublin 1 ?
The Christian Principles Party
7. Independent Fianna Fail (Blaney) had one Senator during their 34 year existence, who was he?
James Larkin, who was one of the Taoiseachs Nominees after the February 1982 General Election.
8. In the 2011 General Election how many sitting Fine Gael TDs lost their seats?
Three -Deirdre Clune in Cork South Central ,Tom Sheahan in Kerry South and Michael D’Arcy in Wexford
9. Which current Mayo TDs Father won an All ireland Medal for Mayo?
Enda Kenny. His Father Henry Kenny won an All Ireland with Mayo in 1936.
10. Who is this?
Colm Keaveney pic via The Irish Student Movements Research Project
Answers Next Friday