The CLR Political Quiz ….. Number 74 August 22, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who said this “The core of the rot in Irish Society is property….” ?
2. What was the last year The Fianna Fail ‘Galway Tent’ made an appearance at the Galway Races?
3. “Chains or Change” was a booklet produced by which group?
4. Which now Senator had legal proceedings instigated against them due to the “Beef Tribunal” Report ?
5. Albert Reynolds famously sung which Country and Western song on ‘The Live Mike’ TV show dressed in a Cowboy suit ?
6. The “Spirit of Freedom Committee” was a front organisation for which Party?
7. Which two Northern Ireland Women’s Coalition candidates were elected in the 1996 Northern Ireland Forum Elections ?
8. In What election did Fianna Fail use “Health Cuts Hurt the Old The Sick and The Handicapped” as a slogan ?
9. Who were PLAC ?
10. Name the four individuals in the picture?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 73
1. Senator Maurice Hayes
2. Fianna Fáil
3. Cathal Dunne a nephew of Jack Lynch
4. Potholes (Three of the four Cavan Road Action Group councillors)
5. Disproportional areas – Munster had more seats than Dublin tho Dublin had bigger population and electorate.
6. Trevor Sargent
8. Erskine Childers
9. The National Party
10. Gerry Reynolds
The CLR Political Quiz … Number 73 August 1, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Which onetime Senator had a very successful spell as chairman of the Down County Board ?
2. In the 1979 European Elections which party had a song “We’re on our way in Europe” ?
3. Who sung it? and a bonus for answering who the singers uncle was ?
4. What issue got the three people pictured below elected in the 1991 Local Elections?
5. In the 1984 European Elections, what was the anomaly between the Munster and Dublin Constituencies ?
6. Which Green Party candidate got the most votes in the 1991 Local Elections?
7. In which County did Sinn Fein have its lowest percentage Vote in the Republics recent Local Elections ?
8. Anthony Dudley was the election agent for which former President ?
9. Theresa Heaney ran for The Catholic Democrats in this years European Elections. Under which name had that party previously stood for election?
10. Who is this?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 72
1. Roisin Shortall
3. Paul Murphy
4. Dublin West and Limerick City
6. Pearse Doherty
8. He was Unopposed (Also It was the last time somebody was elected to the Dáil to represent a univeristy constituency and It was the last time a Dáil election was conducted entirely by postal vote ..Thanks Tomboktu for that info)
9. Carlow, Leitrim and Longford
10. Grace O’Sullivan
The CLR Political Quiz ….. Number 72 July 25, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. In 1974 which current Female TDs brother ran for Fianna Fail for a seat on Dublin City Council ?
2. Did the Socialist Labour Party win any Council seats in the 1979 Local Elections?
3. Who is the Socialist Party candidate in the forthcoming Dublin South West By Election?
4. After the Cabinet reshuffle, which Two Constituencies now have two Ministers at the cabinet table?
5. In the Local Elections which LEA had the lowest percentage Fine Gael vote?
6. Who was the last Senator to Win a Dail By-Election ?
7. In Which General Election did ‘Political Columnist’ Noel Whelan run for Fianna Fail ?
8. What was unusual about Dr Robert Rowlettes 1933 By-Election victory?
9. Which Three Counties Currently have only one TD resident in them?
10. Who is this?
Answers to the CLR Political Quiz …Number 71
1. 1919 Sligo Corporation
2. Billy Timmins
3. Aengus O Snodaigh and Chris Andrews (both TDs at the time)
5. Fianna Fail
6. Foreign Affairs
7. Joan Burton
8. Tom Ryan
10. Phil Hogan
The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 71 July 18, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. When and where was PR first used in an Irish Election?
2. Which Wicklow TD has an All Ireland Club Medal ?
3. Which Two TDs were part of the ‘Gaza Freedom Flotilla’ in late 2010 ?
4. Has a People Before Profit Alliance candidate ever stood in a Dail By Election?
5. Which party established the “Forum for Opportunity” ?
6. What Ministerial office did Ray Burke hold when resigned in disgrace in 1997?
7. In 2007 who was voted the Magill TD of the Year ?
8. Which former Limerick Hurling manager stood in the 2002 General Election?
9. How many current TDs were first elected to the Dail in By-Elections?
10. Who is this?
The CLR Political Quiz … Special Edition …. May 30, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
Thought this question was so good that it deserved its very own quiz…..
1. The brother of which Minister was a presenter of the TV show ‘Bosco’ ?
The CLR Political Quiz…… Number 70 April 11, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who was Labours second female TD ?
2. Who said “In Galway there is no Communism” ?
3. What Group had an address of PO Box 2944 , Dublin 1 ?
4. Who co promoted The Boomtown Rats gig in Clondalkin in the Late 70’s, Liam Lawlor, John Curran, Derek Keating or Tomas MacGiolla ?
5. Who is this?
6. Name the Party founded by Nora Bennis?
7. Who wrote the book “No Workers’ Republic!” ?
8. In 1996 The PDs produced a plan “A New Heart for Dublin” where was Dublin Port to be relocated to?
9. In the 1990’s ‘The Glowpath’ was an annual walk that culminated in a protest outside the Dail. What was the protest about?
10. Name these three gents
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz … Number 69
1. Jackie Healy Rae, Mildred Fox, Harry Blaney and Tom Gildea
2. Packie Gralton
3. Eileen Desmond in 1965
4. Fine Gael in 2002
6. Conor Cruise O’Brien, Justin Keating, Brendan Corish, Michael O’Leary, James Tully
8. Joe Behan
The CLR Political Quiz ……… Number 69 April 4, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. In 1997 which Independent TDs did a deal with Fianna Fail to support the government ? and who was assigned to ‘look after’ them ?
2. Who was The President of the Sligo Leitrim Independent Socialist Party when it joined Labour in early 1992 ?
3. Who was the last wife to win a by election caused by the death of her husband?
4. Which Party had the slogan ‘Vision, With Purpose’?
5. Which was the last General Election that Labour used the Starry Plough as their logo?
6. In 1977 Labour had ads ‘Vote Labour, Here are five good Reasons Why’. What were the five reasons?
7. What year was Labour Youths first National Conference.
8. Who was the only Independent TD to lose their seat in 2011 ?
9. Where was the 1985 Fine Gael Ard Fheis held ?
10. What Partys logo was this?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz ….Number 68
1. 1963 for JFK visit
2. Mick Wallace
3. Albert Reynolds
4. Gráinne Mhic Géidigh
5. Thomas Hollywood
7. Sonny Knowles
8. Jaan Van de Ven
9. Damian Quigg
10. Sean Purcell
The CLR Political Quiz…. Number 68 March 7, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. What was the Dail first televised?
2. Which Male TD had an ear ring on his picture on the ballot paper in 2011 ?
3. Who said this “This isn’t pressure, pressure is when the bank ring u Friday evening and tell you to have 10k by Monday or they foreclose” ?
4. Who was the first ever Sinn Féin candidate to be elected to Údarás na Gaeltachta ?
5. Which 2011 General Election candidate had the following line on his leaflet “I think a new political party, The Spirit Party, should be formed ” ?
6. What Election is this from?
7. Which of the following onetime ‘celebrity candidates’ had a son on the books of Shamrock Rovers , Jeananne Crowley , Sonny Knowles or Ted Nealon ?
8. Who is the leader of Direct Democracy Ireland?
9. Which Sinn Fein Local Election candidate is a nephew of former SDLP politician Sean Farren?
10. Who is this?
The CLR Political Quiz …………… Number 67 February 21, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Which former running mate of Gay Mitchell is running as an Independent in this years Local Elections having failed to be selected by Fine Gael?
2. Which former Minister is a Vice President of the Railway Preservation Society of Ireland ?
3.”He is a colourless member of the Corporation and has made a couple of fairly pointless speeches in the Dail” was a included in a bio of which TD from the 80’s ?
4. Name the uncle of former MEP Mary Banotti, who had a spell as a TD?
5. Which former Irish European Commissioner was a member of Sean Dublin Bay Loftus’s shortlived Christian Democrat Party?
6. Which Boxing club is Fine Gael candidate Kenneth Egan a member of?
7. Which TD is co author of the book “Drainage Policy in Ireland”
8. “His Dail contributions are banal” was a included in a bio of which other TD from the 80’s ?
9. Who was this gent referring to and when?
10. Who is this?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz ……. Number 66
1. Sligo-Leitrim and Dublin North in March 1925
2. Hugh Coveney
4. FG Hugh Byrne
5. All three were appointed ministers their first day in the Dail.
6. Michael O’Leary
7. Barry Desmond
8. Dr Bill Loughnane
9. Michael Noonan
10. Noel Davern
The CLR Political Quiz …………………… Number 66 February 14, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. When was the last time there was a by-election for two seats in the same constituency?
2. Who captained the 1979 Irish Admirals Cup team ?
3. What Constituency is Kildare in for this years European Elections?
4. Which former TD wrote the book “Electroencephalograms on Irish Boxers” ?
5. What distinction do Noel Browne, Martin O’Donoghue and Kevin Boland have in common ?
6. In 1977 Frank Cluskey replaced Brendan Corish as leader of the Labour Party, who did he defeat in the Leadership contest?
7. Which former TD for a Dublin constituency had a father who had been Lord Mayor of Cork?
8. Which former TD was a winner of the All-Ireland championships with the Tulla Céilí Band as a fiddler?
9. Who succeeded Sean Doherty as Minister for Justice ?
10. Who is this?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz … Number 65
1. Jim Higgins
2. Michelle Mulherin
3. John Dunlop
4. Martin Lonergan
5. just Jerry Cowley
7. Flor O’Mahony
8. Two -Kevin Boland and Paddy Madigan (didn’t count Neil Blaney as he was IFF)
9. Finghin Kelly
10. Michael Begley