1. Which former Roscommon TD had a spell as Paris Correspondent and also US Correspondent for the Sunday Times?
2. Which Leitrim based TD was shot dead in 1932 ?
3. Sinn Fein Dublin South West candidate Cathal King was initially co-opted onto South Dublin County Council to replace who?
4. The son of which former Roscommon TD stood in the last Dublin South West By-Election in 1976 ?
5. Name the AAA Councillors in Dublin South West?
6. Which candidate in the current by-election had a father who was a TD for Dublin South West?
7. Who were the ‘Ming’ backed candidates in Roscommon in this years local elections?
8. Which former President stood twice without success in Dublin South West ?
9. Who was the last Leitrim based MEP?
10. Who is this?
The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 76 September 19, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
I’m cheating a bit here and dont actually know all the answers ..
Anyway the 1986 Annual Magill Poitical Quiz…
The CLR Political Quiz ….Number 75 September 12, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who was Sinn Feins first MEP ?
2. In which constituency did People Before Profit and The Socialist Party both field candidates in the 2011 General Election?
3. Which former Irish Rugby International had a spell as a TD for Donegal ?
4. Who was the last co-opted Irish MEP to retain their seat ?
5. Which current Dublin based Councillor has a father and Grandfather that each served as Taoiseach ?
6. The film ‘Beloved Enemy’ gave a fictional account of the life of which former Minister?
7. When running in General Elections, what Left party (excluding DL and Labour) did the SWP most often run against ?
8. Who was the first Irish President to have an official visit to The United States ?
9. Who was the last Tipperary based TD to be Minister for Finance?
10. Who is this ?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz…. Number 74
1. Michael D Higgins
3. The Irish Women’s Liberation Movement
4. Susan O’Keeffe
5. “Put your sweet lips to the phone”
6. CPI -ML
7. Monica McWilliams and Jane Morrice
9. The Pro Life Amendment Campaign
10. Ciarán Cuffe, John Gormley, Claire Wheeler and Sadhbh O’Neill (Green Party councillors elected to Dublin City Council in 1991)
The CLR Political Quiz ….. Number 74 August 22, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who said this “The core of the rot in Irish Society is property….” ?
2. What was the last year The Fianna Fail ‘Galway Tent’ made an appearance at the Galway Races?
3. “Chains or Change” was a booklet produced by which group?
4. Which now Senator had legal proceedings instigated against them due to the “Beef Tribunal” Report ?
5. Albert Reynolds famously sung which Country and Western song on ‘The Live Mike’ TV show dressed in a Cowboy suit ?
6. The “Spirit of Freedom Committee” was a front organisation for which Party?
7. Which two Northern Ireland Women’s Coalition candidates were elected in the 1996 Northern Ireland Forum Elections ?
8. In What election did Fianna Fail use “Health Cuts Hurt the Old The Sick and The Handicapped” as a slogan ?
9. Who were PLAC ?
10. Name the four individuals in the picture?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 73
1. Senator Maurice Hayes
2. Fianna Fáil
3. Cathal Dunne a nephew of Jack Lynch
4. Potholes (Three of the four Cavan Road Action Group councillors)
5. Disproportional areas – Munster had more seats than Dublin tho Dublin had bigger population and electorate.
6. Trevor Sargent
8. Erskine Childers
9. The National Party
10. Gerry Reynolds
The CLR Political Quiz … Number 73 August 1, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Which onetime Senator had a very successful spell as chairman of the Down County Board ?
2. In the 1979 European Elections which party had a song “We’re on our way in Europe” ?
3. Who sung it? and a bonus for answering who the singers uncle was ?
4. What issue got the three people pictured below elected in the 1991 Local Elections?
5. In the 1984 European Elections, what was the anomaly between the Munster and Dublin Constituencies ?
6. Which Green Party candidate got the most votes in the 1991 Local Elections?
7. In which County did Sinn Fein have its lowest percentage Vote in the Republics recent Local Elections ?
8. Anthony Dudley was the election agent for which former President ?
9. Theresa Heaney ran for The Catholic Democrats in this years European Elections. Under which name had that party previously stood for election?
10. Who is this?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 72
1. Roisin Shortall
3. Paul Murphy
4. Dublin West and Limerick City
6. Pearse Doherty
8. He was Unopposed (Also It was the last time somebody was elected to the Dáil to represent a univeristy constituency and It was the last time a Dáil election was conducted entirely by postal vote ..Thanks Tomboktu for that info)
9. Carlow, Leitrim and Longford
10. Grace O’Sullivan
The CLR Political Quiz ….. Number 72 July 25, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. In 1974 which current Female TDs brother ran for Fianna Fail for a seat on Dublin City Council ?
2. Did the Socialist Labour Party win any Council seats in the 1979 Local Elections?
3. Who is the Socialist Party candidate in the forthcoming Dublin South West By Election?
4. After the Cabinet reshuffle, which Two Constituencies now have two Ministers at the cabinet table?
5. In the Local Elections which LEA had the lowest percentage Fine Gael vote?
6. Who was the last Senator to Win a Dail By-Election ?
7. In Which General Election did ‘Political Columnist’ Noel Whelan run for Fianna Fail ?
8. What was unusual about Dr Robert Rowlettes 1933 By-Election victory?
9. Which Three Counties Currently have only one TD resident in them?
10. Who is this?
Answers to the CLR Political Quiz …Number 71
1. 1919 Sligo Corporation
2. Billy Timmins
3. Aengus O Snodaigh and Chris Andrews (both TDs at the time)
5. Fianna Fail
6. Foreign Affairs
7. Joan Burton
8. Tom Ryan
10. Phil Hogan
The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 71 July 18, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. When and where was PR first used in an Irish Election?
2. Which Wicklow TD has an All Ireland Club Medal ?
3. Which Two TDs were part of the ‘Gaza Freedom Flotilla’ in late 2010 ?
4. Has a People Before Profit Alliance candidate ever stood in a Dail By Election?
5. Which party established the “Forum for Opportunity” ?
6. What Ministerial office did Ray Burke hold when resigned in disgrace in 1997?
7. In 2007 who was voted the Magill TD of the Year ?
8. Which former Limerick Hurling manager stood in the 2002 General Election?
9. How many current TDs were first elected to the Dail in By-Elections?
10. Who is this?
The CLR Political Quiz … Special Edition …. May 30, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
Thought this question was so good that it deserved its very own quiz…..
1. The brother of which Minister was a presenter of the TV show ‘Bosco’ ?
The CLR Political Quiz…… Number 70 April 11, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who was Labours second female TD ?
2. Who said “In Galway there is no Communism” ?
3. What Group had an address of PO Box 2944 , Dublin 1 ?
4. Who co promoted The Boomtown Rats gig in Clondalkin in the Late 70’s, Liam Lawlor, John Curran, Derek Keating or Tomas MacGiolla ?
5. Who is this?
6. Name the Party founded by Nora Bennis?
7. Who wrote the book “No Workers’ Republic!” ?
8. In 1996 The PDs produced a plan “A New Heart for Dublin” where was Dublin Port to be relocated to?
9. In the 1990’s ‘The Glowpath’ was an annual walk that culminated in a protest outside the Dail. What was the protest about?
10. Name these three gents
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz … Number 69
1. Jackie Healy Rae, Mildred Fox, Harry Blaney and Tom Gildea
2. Packie Gralton
3. Eileen Desmond in 1965
4. Fine Gael in 2002
6. Conor Cruise O’Brien, Justin Keating, Brendan Corish, Michael O’Leary, James Tully
8. Joe Behan
The CLR Political Quiz ……… Number 69 April 4, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. In 1997 which Independent TDs did a deal with Fianna Fail to support the government ? and who was assigned to ‘look after’ them ?
2. Who was The President of the Sligo Leitrim Independent Socialist Party when it joined Labour in early 1992 ?
3. Who was the last wife to win a by election caused by the death of her husband?
4. Which Party had the slogan ‘Vision, With Purpose’?
5. Which was the last General Election that Labour used the Starry Plough as their logo?
6. In 1977 Labour had ads ‘Vote Labour, Here are five good Reasons Why’. What were the five reasons?
7. What year was Labour Youths first National Conference.
8. Who was the only Independent TD to lose their seat in 2011 ?
9. Where was the 1985 Fine Gael Ard Fheis held ?
10. What Partys logo was this?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz ….Number 68
1. 1963 for JFK visit
2. Mick Wallace
3. Albert Reynolds
4. Gráinne Mhic Géidigh
5. Thomas Hollywood
7. Sonny Knowles
8. Jaan Van de Ven
9. Damian Quigg
10. Sean Purcell