The CLR Political Quiz Christmas Special December 23, 2015Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz, Irish Politics.
A bumper Quiz to keep you occupied for a while….
1. On the first day of the current Dail, did Mick Wallace wear a shirt, T-shirt or football jersey?
2. Who said “I am an Irishman second, I am a Catholic first, and I accept without qualification the teaching of the hierarchy and the church to which I belong.” ?
3. What do Mary Smyth and James Charity have in common ?
4. In which constituency selection conventions did Fianna Fail issue a female only Gender Directive?
5. Earlier this year who quit Fianna Fail saying that they were “a party in denial who continually show they lack direction, solutions or a vision for the future of this country” ?
6. Name this former TD?
7. Which former Belfast City Councillor currently serves on South Dublin County Council?
8. Complete the slogan “________ ________ is the Patriotism Of The Seventies”
9. When Democratic Left joined Labour , how many Councillors did it have? ….. and how many of those Councillors are now TD’s ?
10. Which 2011 Seanad candidate carried an endorsement from Denis O’Brien on their leaflets?
12. Did The Workers’ Party advocate a Yes or a No vote in The Seanad Referendum?
13. How many Constituencies used Electronic Voting in the 2nd Nice Treaty Referendum?
14. Defeated candidate Dan Kiely was in the news recently over a Court case to do with the 2014 Local Election vote in Listowel. How many votes separated Kiely from the second last candidate elected?
15. What year is this poster from?
16. What Left Group was formally established in October 2005?
17. What group produced the pamphlet “British and Irish ‘Communist’ Organisation – Trotskyite Thugs, Sham Marxist-Leninists and Agents of British Imperialism”?
18. If you were posting something to “P.O. Box 2944, Dublin 1” , what group would you have been posting it to?
19. Who were the other candidates in the contest for Deputy Leader of The Labour Party, which was won by Alan Kelly ?
21. Which Soap character was Gerry L’Estrange of Fine Gael comparing Charles Haughey to when he said this in 1981 “Both are obsessed with their public images, both behave irresponsibly where other people’s money is concerned, and both try to maintain the useless pretence that the houses they rule are not divided” ?
22. The Social Democrats have 4 Councillors, name them?
23. Which two parties had an election pact in the 1992 Seanad Elections?
24. In 2011, which Party’s website was hacked by ‘Anonymous’ ?
25. Who is this ?
26. How many of the current cabinet had a parent a TD?
27. In the Marriage Equality Referendum, which was the only Constituency to have a majority No vote?
28. In 2000, which Fianna Fail TD suggested that Local Authorities “Feng Shui our streets” ?
29. Who were the last ever Protestant Association Councillors?
30. What is the irony in this from February 1982 ?
1. Which former Roscommon TD had a spell as Paris Correspondent and also US Correspondent for the Sunday Times?
2. Which Leitrim based TD was shot dead in 1932 ?
3. Sinn Fein Dublin South West candidate Cathal King was initially co-opted onto South Dublin County Council to replace who?
4. The son of which former Roscommon TD stood in the last Dublin South West By-Election in 1976 ?
5. Name the AAA Councillors in Dublin South West?
6. Which candidate in the current by-election had a father who was a TD for Dublin South West?
7. Who were the ‘Ming’ backed candidates in Roscommon in this years local elections?
8. Which former President stood twice without success in Dublin South West ?
9. Who was the last Leitrim based MEP?
10. Who is this?
The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 76 September 19, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
I’m cheating a bit here and dont actually know all the answers ..
Anyway the 1986 Annual Magill Poitical Quiz…
The CLR Political Quiz ….Number 75 September 12, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who was Sinn Feins first MEP ?
2. In which constituency did People Before Profit and The Socialist Party both field candidates in the 2011 General Election?
3. Which former Irish Rugby International had a spell as a TD for Donegal ?
4. Who was the last co-opted Irish MEP to retain their seat ?
5. Which current Dublin based Councillor has a father and Grandfather that each served as Taoiseach ?
6. The film ‘Beloved Enemy’ gave a fictional account of the life of which former Minister?
7. When running in General Elections, what Left party (excluding DL and Labour) did the SWP most often run against ?
8. Who was the first Irish President to have an official visit to The United States ?
9. Who was the last Tipperary based TD to be Minister for Finance?
10. Who is this ?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz…. Number 74
1. Michael D Higgins
3. The Irish Women’s Liberation Movement
4. Susan O’Keeffe
5. “Put your sweet lips to the phone”
6. CPI -ML
7. Monica McWilliams and Jane Morrice
9. The Pro Life Amendment Campaign
10. Ciarán Cuffe, John Gormley, Claire Wheeler and Sadhbh O’Neill (Green Party councillors elected to Dublin City Council in 1991)
The CLR Political Quiz ….. Number 74 August 22, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who said this “The core of the rot in Irish Society is property….” ?
2. What was the last year The Fianna Fail ‘Galway Tent’ made an appearance at the Galway Races?
3. “Chains or Change” was a booklet produced by which group?
4. Which now Senator had legal proceedings instigated against them due to the “Beef Tribunal” Report ?
5. Albert Reynolds famously sung which Country and Western song on ‘The Live Mike’ TV show dressed in a Cowboy suit ?
6. The “Spirit of Freedom Committee” was a front organisation for which Party?
7. Which two Northern Ireland Women’s Coalition candidates were elected in the 1996 Northern Ireland Forum Elections ?
8. In What election did Fianna Fail use “Health Cuts Hurt the Old The Sick and The Handicapped” as a slogan ?
9. Who were PLAC ?
10. Name the four individuals in the picture?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 73
1. Senator Maurice Hayes
2. Fianna Fáil
3. Cathal Dunne a nephew of Jack Lynch
4. Potholes (Three of the four Cavan Road Action Group councillors)
5. Disproportional areas – Munster had more seats than Dublin tho Dublin had bigger population and electorate.
6. Trevor Sargent
8. Erskine Childers
9. The National Party
10. Gerry Reynolds
The CLR Political Quiz … Number 73 August 1, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Which onetime Senator had a very successful spell as chairman of the Down County Board ?
2. In the 1979 European Elections which party had a song “We’re on our way in Europe” ?
3. Who sung it? and a bonus for answering who the singers uncle was ?
4. What issue got the three people pictured below elected in the 1991 Local Elections?
5. In the 1984 European Elections, what was the anomaly between the Munster and Dublin Constituencies ?
6. Which Green Party candidate got the most votes in the 1991 Local Elections?
7. In which County did Sinn Fein have its lowest percentage Vote in the Republics recent Local Elections ?
8. Anthony Dudley was the election agent for which former President ?
9. Theresa Heaney ran for The Catholic Democrats in this years European Elections. Under which name had that party previously stood for election?
10. Who is this?
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 72
1. Roisin Shortall
3. Paul Murphy
4. Dublin West and Limerick City
6. Pearse Doherty
8. He was Unopposed (Also It was the last time somebody was elected to the Dáil to represent a univeristy constituency and It was the last time a Dáil election was conducted entirely by postal vote ..Thanks Tomboktu for that info)
9. Carlow, Leitrim and Longford
10. Grace O’Sullivan
The CLR Political Quiz ….. Number 72 July 25, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. In 1974 which current Female TDs brother ran for Fianna Fail for a seat on Dublin City Council ?
2. Did the Socialist Labour Party win any Council seats in the 1979 Local Elections?
3. Who is the Socialist Party candidate in the forthcoming Dublin South West By Election?
4. After the Cabinet reshuffle, which Two Constituencies now have two Ministers at the cabinet table?
5. In the Local Elections which LEA had the lowest percentage Fine Gael vote?
6. Who was the last Senator to Win a Dail By-Election ?
7. In Which General Election did ‘Political Columnist’ Noel Whelan run for Fianna Fail ?
8. What was unusual about Dr Robert Rowlettes 1933 By-Election victory?
9. Which Three Counties Currently have only one TD resident in them?
10. Who is this?
Answers to the CLR Political Quiz …Number 71
1. 1919 Sligo Corporation
2. Billy Timmins
3. Aengus O Snodaigh and Chris Andrews (both TDs at the time)
5. Fianna Fail
6. Foreign Affairs
7. Joan Burton
8. Tom Ryan
10. Phil Hogan
The CLR Political Quiz …. Number 71 July 18, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. When and where was PR first used in an Irish Election?
2. Which Wicklow TD has an All Ireland Club Medal ?
3. Which Two TDs were part of the ‘Gaza Freedom Flotilla’ in late 2010 ?
4. Has a People Before Profit Alliance candidate ever stood in a Dail By Election?
5. Which party established the “Forum for Opportunity” ?
6. What Ministerial office did Ray Burke hold when resigned in disgrace in 1997?
7. In 2007 who was voted the Magill TD of the Year ?
8. Which former Limerick Hurling manager stood in the 2002 General Election?
9. How many current TDs were first elected to the Dail in By-Elections?
10. Who is this?
The CLR Political Quiz … Special Edition …. May 30, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
Thought this question was so good that it deserved its very own quiz…..
1. The brother of which Minister was a presenter of the TV show ‘Bosco’ ?
The CLR Political Quiz…… Number 70 April 11, 2014Posted by irishelectionliterature in CLR Political Quiz.
1. Who was Labours second female TD ?
2. Who said “In Galway there is no Communism” ?
3. What Group had an address of PO Box 2944 , Dublin 1 ?
4. Who co promoted The Boomtown Rats gig in Clondalkin in the Late 70’s, Liam Lawlor, John Curran, Derek Keating or Tomas MacGiolla ?
5. Who is this?
6. Name the Party founded by Nora Bennis?
7. Who wrote the book “No Workers’ Republic!” ?
8. In 1996 The PDs produced a plan “A New Heart for Dublin” where was Dublin Port to be relocated to?
9. In the 1990’s ‘The Glowpath’ was an annual walk that culminated in a protest outside the Dail. What was the protest about?
10. Name these three gents
Answers to The CLR Political Quiz … Number 69
1. Jackie Healy Rae, Mildred Fox, Harry Blaney and Tom Gildea
2. Packie Gralton
3. Eileen Desmond in 1965
4. Fine Gael in 2002
6. Conor Cruise O’Brien, Justin Keating, Brendan Corish, Michael O’Leary, James Tully
8. Joe Behan